Combining the trusted, authoritative content of Sweet & Maxwell with innovative technology that sets it apart from other legal research systems, Westlaw UK gives legal professionals the power to do more, with less.
For more information and to discover why organisations up and down the country are using Westlaw UK email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
GET THE ADVANTAGE
For over a decade Westlaw UK has been at the forefront of the online legal information industry, providing our customers with a legal research system they know they can trust to deliver results.
- Market-leading content from Sweet & Maxwell and other licensed sources
- Intuitive technology that delivers unbeatable functionality
- A clean, easy-to-use interface for speedy research
We call it the Westlaw UK Advantage.
Westlaw UK is used daily by law firms, barristers’ chambers, government organisations, academic institutions and thousands of other legal professionals across the United Kingdom and worldwide. They use it because it gives them the power to speed up their workflow, to help build the strongest arguments, and to deliver a better answer, faster. That’s the Westlaw UK advantage.
MARKET-LEADING AND EXCLUSIVE CONTENT
For over 200 years Sweet & Maxwell authors have been analysing, summarising and commentating on the law to provide legal professionals with the tools to work faster and smarter. Westlaw UK is built on this authority and combines it with other leading sources to deliver content, online such as:
- Full ICLR content: The Law Reports, Industrial Cases Reports, Public and Third Sector Reports, Scots Law Times and the Weekly Law Reports all downloadable in PDF
- Sweet & Maxwell Law Reports, official transcripts and extempore judgments, updated on a daily basis
- Consolidated, annotated legislation from England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, with historic, current and prospective versions, all updated daily and available in PDF
- Over 100 full-text journals and abstracts from 800 more via the Legal Journals Index
- Over 130 Sweet & Maxwell titles such as Chitty on Contracts, The White Book, Archbold, Woodfall, McGregor on Damages and IDS Employment Law Handbooks, with some titles updated on a weekly basis to ensure you have the latest law in that area
- Insight – an encyclopaedia of UK law written by experts specifically for online use
- Current Awareness service updated every 15 minutes
- Reuters News sourced from 11,000 sources
SEARCH WITH EASE
Westlaw UK was designed to be as simple as possible to use so that anyone within a firm, in-house legal department or chambers, whether legally qualified or not, can dive into the system, find what they need and get out again with minimal effort.
From the simple search bar on the home page to the more advanced search features within each of the databases, you can choose to research in the way that’s most natural to you. Intuitive functionality such as suggested search terms, plain English searching, highlighted search terms in results lists, a breadcrumb trail and legal term definition searching ensure that you get to the information you need as quickly as possible.
SORT AND FILTER RESULTS
We know that when you run a search, you want the most relevant results displayed at the top. Westlaw UK does just that. With the option to display search results ranked by relevance, date or alphabetical order and the ability to view results by content type, such as cases, legislation or journals, you can save time trawling through irrelevant content.
And to really narrow down a results list to pinpoint the information you need, you can filter your search results using options such as content type, date, practice area and jurisdiction.
For some, moving online could be considered a daunting prospect, but the benefits speak for themselves.
- No more searching through pages of multiple books to find your answer – one search is all it takes
- No more time lost searching for cases or legislation in alternative sources – all primary law is linked within the system
- No more risk associated with using out of date content – thanks to the currency of online and instant updates
- No more time wasted searching for illusive hard copies of case reports, journals and commentary titles – access for all, online
- No more manual filing of updates to looseleafs – all new content is automatically added
- No more space lost to storing hard copies of journals, books, looseleafs – all you need is a computer or tablet with internet access
DIRECT LINKS FROM PRACTICAL LAW TO WESTLAW UK
We know that when looking at Practical Law’s legal know-how it’s also important to be able to see the full text of the case or legislation that’s referenced. That’s why we’ve created direct links from one service to the other. So there’s no need to go searching elsewhere, just click on the reference in Practical Law to be taken directly to the relevant document on Westlaw UK where you can research without breaking your train of thought.
Find out more about the advantages of linking at westlaw.co.uk/practicallawlinking
RESEARCH FASTER WITH ANALYSIS DOCUMENTS
Westlaw UK’s case and legislation analysis documents can save you huge amounts of time when searching for relevant primary law.
Cases Analysis documents provide all information needed in the first instance, such as a case summary, where it’s reported, appellate history and status, and direct links to all related content to save you time having to source it. Our Legal Editors highlight the key cases cited and citing the case, as well as key legislation cited to save you time going through the Table of Authorities.
Legislation Analysis documents, written specifically for online research, provide all information pertinent to a provision such as enabling Act, commencement, extent, SIs made under it and links to related content. The Arrangement of Act/SI document also allows easy navigation to any provision, part or schedule from one page, saving you going back and forth between web pages.
VISUAL TOOLS FOR INSTANT EVALUATION
Time is precious when you’re researching, so being able to tell at a glance if a document is relevant for your search is invaluable. Westlaw UK makes that possible. Status icons for cases and legislation are displayed in search results lists and at the top of individual documents to alert you as to their current status. You’ll be able to see instantly if a case is safe to rely on as good law or should be treated with caution, or whether that provision is still in force or has amendments pending.
Use the Graphical History display option to clearly see a case’s journey through the courts and help bring clarity to those cases with complex appeal histories.
UNINTERRUPTED RESEARCH THANKS TO LINKED CONTENT
Nothing interrupts the flow of research more than having to stop and perform a new search for related content. With Westlaw UK, this isn’t a problem. Wherever a statutory provision is mentioned, there will be a direct link to it. If a case is referenced in a book title, you can simply click on the link and be taken straight to it. And if you’re reading a journal article and it mentions a legal textbook (that is also available on the system), that’s right, you’ll be able to jump straight into the relevant paragraph. We call it seamless research.
ADVANCED SEARCH OPTIONS FOR A MORE EFFICIENT SEARCH
Additional search options within each of the content sets in the system ensure that you can really focus your searches. From specifying the judge who presided over a case, to searching for how a piece of legislation looked on a specific date in time, Westlaw UK gives you the tools to find the information you need as efficiently as possible.
Instant access to the information you need helps keep you focussed and become more productive. By harnessing the superior functionality of Westlaw UK, your legal research can become incredibly easy. That’s the Westlaw UK Advantage.
SAVE AND ORGANISE DOCUMENTS IN FOLDERS
My Folders* is your own corner of the system where you can store and organise your legal research from Westlaw UK. It’s where you can access saved research documents quickly, or pick up where you left off at your last session. With a couple of clicks you can add case reports, analysis documents, Arrangements of Acts, pages from books, individual documents from search results, PDFs, and any other part of your research to My Folders.
TRACK DOWN PREVIOUS RESEARCH
Occasionally you’ll want to remind yourself of the research undertaken for a particular client. With the Trail feature*, you can see all your previous research sessions from the last fourteen days and access the documents that were looked at or simply pick up where you left off. Want to keep your research for longer? Simply reset the timer back to fourteen days, or save it to My Folders.
THE LATEST UPDATES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX
Let the information come to you by setting up alerts or RSS feeds*. It’s a great way to keep track of new developments, perhaps for a specific set of search terms, changes to the status of a case you’re interested in, news items on a particular company or client or just current awareness in a specified practice area.
ACCESS ANY TIME, ANYWHERE
Whether you’re in the office, at court or just commuting, as long as you have internet access you’ll be able to tap into your favourite legal research system.
*Only available with a username and password login
In the current legal climate, where everyone is being asked to do more with less, Westlaw UK can provide your firm or organisation with the tools needed to work more quickly and more efficiently, without compromising quality. And it’s not just for the information professional or PSL; the system provides benefits for users across any business, whether they have a legal background or not.
FOR THE FEE EARNER
- Pass work to trainees with confidence that they can find accurate, authoritative information quickly
- Free up time for billable hours – research tasks are completed much more speedily
- Join up systems and processes – Westlaw UK connects to other Thomson Reuters products, such as Practical Law, Lawtel and litigation workflow tools such as Case Notebook and Status Check, which saves time checking over documents manually
- Future proof your transactions with tools such as Prospective Law, Annotated Statutes and Current Awareness alerts
- Become more competitive by getting up to speed on international processes quickly – content such as Getting the Deal Through gives you the tools needed to practise with confidence in foreign jurisdictions or to advise clients wanting to do business internationally
- Have confidence that you’re using the best tools – enhancements to WLUK are fuelled by customer requests. The features of the service are built specifically for online and written by expert practitioners, you can be sure it’s intuitive and authoritative
FOR THE IN-HOUSE LAWYER
- Westlaw UK is renowned for being easy to navigate, with information clearly displayed on screen, whilst having completely comprehensive content sets, meaning you should be able to find information you need quickly and easily
- With pressures to reduce department spend, Westlaw UK can save you having to assign research to external counsel and incur fees, often at variable rates
- Set up alerts to be notified of any changes to the law in your industry so that you can ensure that you’re compliant. You can also set up alerts to be notified any time a competitor is mentioned in any news article, case or journal, enabling you to stay ahead of the game
- Mitigate the risk of relying on out of date information – Westlaw UK is updated on a daily basis so it’s safer to rely on than free sites
- Save time cross-referencing past and present versions of provisions – all legislation on Westlaw UK is consolidated with options to see previous and future versions, where amendments are pending
- Get up to speed on an unfamiliar area of law quickly using Insight, the online encyclopaedia built for Westlaw UK, offering links to related cases, legislation and journals
- Download the PDF of any journal article or extract from a text book available on Westlaw UK, for reading on your commute
FOR THE BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT MANAGER
- Easily investigate prospect clients by searching for them across cases, journals and news
- Uncover industry trends for forecasting new business opportunities
- Read up on current clients by searching for litigation they’re involved in at the moment
- Warn clients of any areas not to get involved in by performing searches to uncover the latest regulations or litigation in their industry
- Stay organised on clients – use My Folders to store information on all of your clients
- Use Insight to see who the leading minds are across various fields of law and read their articles to get up to speed on their specialist area
- Keep up to date with the latest world affairs and industry news using the News / Current Awareness databases. No need to search through a newspaper or magazine for mentions of your firm or organisation
- Alerts can be set up on a wide range of subjects and get pushed to your inbox, read them on your commute since Westlaw UK is optimised for mobile / tablet
FOR THE TRAINEE
- Get up to speed on a new area of law quickly using Insight. Very useful for trainees, it also gives them links to key related cases, legislation and journals
- Research takes a fraction of the time – what used to take half a day can now take half an hour. Direct links to referenced content across the site saves vast amounts of time performing multiple searches or looking through different sources
- Mitigate the risk of using out of date information – Westlaw UK is updated on a daily basis (Current Awareness every 15 minutes), so it’s safer to rely on than free sites
- Efficiency is increased and because research tasks are finished more quickly, more time can be freed up for other work
- Use Index of Legal Terms to search for unfamiliar terms or phrases and get the definition plus links to relevant cases and legislation in that area of law